Process to enter Ecuador the Galapagos Islands
In order to re-activation of tourism activities in the country, Ecuador´s Government and the COE (Government Emergency Committee) have established protocols for arriving international passengers:
“RT-PCR test requirement for entry into the country (Ecuador):
- All passengers upon arrival at airports in Ecuador will go through a temperature scan that will allow identifying temperatures above 37.5°C.
- Every person who enters Ecuador must comply with the biosafety measures established by the Ministry of Public Health, such as:
- Mandatory use of a mask.
- Frequent hand washing with soap and water or alcohol gel of at least 70%.
- Maintain a physical distance of 2 meters.
- Continuous cleaning of surfaces.
- Avoid taking part in meetings of more than 10 people in closed places.
- If the meeting is necessary, it should be with less than 10 people and ensure the proper ventilation of the place.
The National COE resolved on Wednesday, March 17, 2021 the following guidelines for entering the country, which will come into effect as of 00:00 on Monday, March 22, 2021:
· Any person who enters Ecuador, must present a mandatory negative RT-PCR test or negative antigen test, carried out up to three (3) days before arrival in Ecuador or a detailed COVID-19 vaccination certificate.
· Any person who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 by PCR test, with more than one month prior to the date of onset of symptoms and who continues to present positive PCR tests, as long as there are no symptoms, must present a Medical Certificate issued in the country of origin that guarantees your state of health for entry to Ecuador.
· Any passenger who, upon arrival in Ecuador, presents COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough, general malaise, loss of smell, loss of taste, etc.) regardless of the result of the PCR test or antigen test, will be evaluated by the health personnel of the Ministry of Public Health prior to entering the migration area. If it is determined that it is a «suspicious case», a rapid antigen test will be carried out and if positive, said passenger must isolate for ten (10) days after the date of sampling at his/her home or Accommodation chosen by and at the expense of the traveler. This information must be included in the Traveler’s Health Declaration. In the event that the rapid antigen test is negative, the passenger will not be obligated to isolate.
· Children under two years of age and crew members are exempt from presenting, upon arrival, a negative PCR or negative antigen test, and/or vaccination card.
· Ecuadorian passengers who were declared UNADMITTED in other countries and return to Ecuador, should not present a PCR test, however, the Ministry of Public Health will perform a rapid antigen test at the time of their entry into the country.
· Passengers in transit in Ecuador must not present a negative PCR or antigen test or vaccination card against COVID-19.
ENTER TO GALAPAGOS:
While the health emergency is in force, people who enter the province of Galapagos must comply with the following protocol provisions according to their migratory category.
- All migratory categories are exempted from the Mandatory Preventive Isolation (APO) provided they have a negative RT-PCR test for detection of COVID-19 with a maximum validity of 96 hours prior to entering the province of Galapagos.
- The negative RT-PCR test will not be a requirement to travel to Galapagos for children less than or equal to 17 years of age, in the migratory categories of permanent residents, temporary residents, transients and tourists, whether nationals or foreigners. Service Voucher issued by legally registered travel agency, cruise, tour operator or hotels; indicating the services has been confirmed previously in order to visit Galapagos Islands. Galapagos Transit Card and Galapagos National Park fee will have to prepay in advance.
For your information:
- Foreign tourists who have certified laboratory results from their country of origin within the timeframe established in this protocol may present that document to enter the islands.
- In the case of domestic tourists, the RT-PCR tests must be carried out only in laboratories authorized by the Ministry of Public Health.
- Both domestic and international tourists must have a valid authorization for organized groups issued by the Ministry of Tourism.
We ask passengers to heed these recommendations to take your flight safely and efficiently:
- Check in online to speed up processes and save time at the terminal.
- Arrive at the airport four hours before international flights and two hours before domestic flights.
- Avoid wearing metallic objects to speed up security screening. If you carry loose change, keys or any metallic object, please place it in your hand luggage.
- If you arrive with plenty of time before your flight or you wish to greet a passenger arriving to the city, remember that you can wait in comfort at the Quito Airport Center which offers multiple services with all health security measures.
- Only passengers with a confirmed flight and who present a boarding pass or flight ticket can enter the terminal. The entry of relatives or companions is prohibited.
- Airline tickets are not sold at the airport, so do not go to the airport to buy a ticket. Purchase your flight through airline and travel agency websites.”